31.10.09

DADDY'S POEM

> ----------------------
>
> Her hair was up in a pony tail,
> Her favorite dress tied with a bow.
> Today was Daddy's Day at school,
> And she couldn't wait to go.
>
> But her mommy tried to tell her,
> That she probably should stay home.
> Why the kids might not understand,
> If she went to school alone.
>
> But she was not afraid;
> She knew just what to say.
> What to tell her classmates
> Of why he wasn't there today.
>
> But still her mother worried,
> For her to face this day alone.
> And that was why once again,
> She tried to keep her daughter home.
>
> But the little girl went to school
> Eager to tell them all.
> About a dad she never sees
> A dad who never calls.
>
>
> There were daddies along the wall in back,
> For everyone to meet.
> Children squirming impatiently,
> Anxious in their seats
>
> One by one the teacher called
> A student from the class.
> To introduce their daddy,
> As seconds slowly passed.
>
> At last the teacher called her name,
> Every child turned to stare.
> Each of them was searching,
> A man who wasn't there.
>
> 'Where's her daddy at?'
> She heard a boy call out.
> 'She probably doesn't have one,'
> Another student dared to shout.
>
> And from somewhere near the back,
> She heard a daddy say,
> 'Looks like another deadbeat dad,
> Too busy to waste his day.'
>
> The words did not offend her,
> As she smiled up at her Mom.
> And looked back at her teacher,
> Who told her to go on.
>
> And with hands behind her back,
> Slowly she began to speak.
> And out from the mouth of a child,
> Came words incredibly unique.
>
> 'My Daddy couldn't be here,
> Because he lives so far away.
> But I know he wishes he could be,
> Since this is such a special day.
>
> And though you cannot meet him,
> I wanted you to know.
> All about my daddy,
> And how much he loves me so.
>
> He loved to tell me stories
> He taught me to ride my bike.
> He surprised me with pink roses,
> And taught me to fly a kite.
>
> We used to share fudge sundaes,
> And ice cream in a cone.
> And though you cannot see him.
> I'm not standing here alone.
>
> 'Cause my daddy's always with me,
> Even though we are apart
> I know because he told me,
> He'll forever be in my heart'
> With that, her little hand reached up,
> And lay across her chest.
> Feeling her own heartbeat,
> Beneath her favorite dress.
>
>
> And from somewhere here in the crowd of dads,
> Her mother stood in tears.
> Proudly watching her daughter,
> Who was wise beyond her years.
>
> For she stood up for the love
> Of a man not in her life.
> Doing what was best for her,
> Doing what was right.
>
> And when she dropped her hand back down,
> Staring straight into the crowd.
> She finished with a voice so soft,
> But its message clear and loud.
>
> 'I love my daddy very much,
> he's my shining star.
> And if he could, he'd be here,
> But heaven's just too far.
>
> You see he is a British soldier
> And died just this past year
> When a roadside bomb hit his convoy
> And taught Britains to fear.
>
> But sometimes when I close my eyes,
> it's like he never went away.'
> And then she closed her eyes,
> And saw him there that day.
>
> And to her mother's amazement,
> She witnessed with surprise.
> A room full of daddies and children,
> All starting to close their eyes.
>
> Who knows what they saw before them,
> Who knows what they felt inside.
> Perhaps for merely a second,
> They saw him at her side.
>
> 'I know you're with me Daddy,'
> To the silence she called out.
> And what happened next made believers,
> Of those once filled with doubt.
>
> Not one in that room could explain it,
> For each of their eyes had been closed.
> But there on the desk beside her,
> Was a fragrant long-stemmed rose.
>
>
> And a child was blessed, if only for a moment,
> By the love of her shining star.
> And given the gift of believing,
> That heaven is never too far.
>
> Send this to the people you'll never forget and
> Remember to send it also to the person that sent
> It to you. It's a short message to let them know
> That you'll never forget them.
>
> If you don't send it to anyone, it means you're
> in a hurry and that you've forgotten your
> friends.
>
> Take the time...to live and love.
> Until eternity. God bless!




This made me cry, and think what Heros do for us x

1 comment:

Elke said...

this is so beautiful. I cried my eyes out when I read it.

My son has just returned from Afghanistan and it could so easily have been about him and his son.

Thanks for sharing this.